Wednesday, May 29, 2013

DISCARDED ANCESTORS



Amazing treasure can be found in Buffalo’s lost neighborhoods. Old photos, old wood, reusable glass, a riot of intense textures that can be repurposed. This small house at 29 Sanford Street must have been charming in its heyday. I can imagine these girls playing on the back step in that gentler time. But now, birds fly in and out of broken windows. Huge holes in the roof allow in the rain and snow, letting the house rot in plain sight. Far too decayed to be restored, it sits waiting for a match or a bulldozer. 

The frame for this collage came from Buffalo ReUse. I sand the wood to reveal all the layers of paint and time.  To see more of the ‘Discarded Ancestors’ series, and other work, come visit my studio at the TriMain Center. (My contact info is on my website, elizabethleader.com). I am either in the studio or out exploring the rustbelt.

No comments: