Wednesday, April 17, 2013

SECRETS FROM A GRAFFITI ARTIST


A young man came into my studio during Saturday night’s TriMania event and recognized a lot of the tags that I had painted in miniature on my ‘Toyology boxes. He shared some stories about different graffiti artists around town and where they are now.  One secret I was really curious about was how the tagger known as ATAK could spray-paint his name two stories high. My visitor had the answer – let’s just say a fire extinguisher is involved.  Here’s a picture of the old Lenzner Bottling Company on Jefferson Avenue with ATAK’s tag covering a wall. The roof collapsed long ago but the place is filled with interesting treasures. Pictured here also is my assemblage, “Shreck” showing ATAK in miniature on an outside panel. Riding down Jefferson a few days ago, I saw what looks like someone camped out there even though this building is on the mayor’s top ten list for demolition. Visit my website www.elizabethleader.com for more graffiti in miniature!


No comments: